Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Interview with Dad-to-be

When did you know you wanted to be a father?
I think I always wanted to be a father but the first time I got really excited about it was the first time I held Harrison. I had so much love for this little person out of nowhere that I couldn't imagine what holding my own kid would feel like.
Richard holding his nephew, Harrison, in 2003.

What was your first thought when you found out you were going to be a dad?
Seeing how I was woken up with the news I didn't really have much going on that was clear.  I do remember being so grateful that this had finally happened and so relieved the wait was over.  It broke my heart every time it came back no and to see that look on Mani's face was terrible so I was so happy to not see it again.

What has Mani craved the most during her pregnancy?
Mostly she just craved odd things and different  things all the time so picking dinner was always a game of guessing until we found the right thing and then she had to have it right then.

What part of parenthood are you looking forward to the most?
I would say being able to grow with her and help her every step of the way.  Being the one who she runs to and the one who loves me more than anything.

What scares you the most about being a parent?
Being responsible for the this girl for everything she needs and making sure she has a strong foundation. I can't think about her being a teenager or I start getting anxiety...

What three traits do you hope the baby will inherit from you?
I would say my dashing good looks, my ability to make true friends, and being able to gain a testimony early on that she will always know is true not matter what else happens.

What three traits do you hope the baby will inherit from Mani?
Her beauty inside and out, her courage and strength, and her intelligence.

Do you have any questions for your friends who are experienced parents?

I've had the privilege of watching you and Jeff as well as and the rest of the family raise your kids and I feel I have learned quite a bit from that. Although I would love advice on how to make the most of what time we have together as I will be very busy with work and school for many years to come.

2 comments:

  1. This was really sweet. As far as making the most of your time, just try to be in the moment with them as much as possible, even if it means that you have to have a tea party instead of watching a game you want to watch. Also, for the sake of your marriage, try not to let Mani be the one who is always doing the disciplining. When you're not around a lot, it can be tempting to always want to be the fun parent, but your daughter and wife will respect you more if you can handle the not fun times, too. In my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have a friend that comes home from work for dinner time and bedtime, and then works from home the rest of the night. If you ever get a chance to work from home, I would suggest coming home for that specific time of night. My kids love it when Scott asks them about their "Favorite Part of the Day" and then sings to them. It is amazing the family bonding you can have over dinner. If you can shake it, too, try to help out at night also. I am so grateful for Scott for helping during the night shift, and I believe that it helps our marriage through the sleep deprived moments. You will be a great dad, and I know that even though you will be gone a lot, they will feel that love. You will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete